Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Par-tay!

The official launch of Orwell in Tribune takes place tonight at the Wheatsheaf, Rathbone Place, W1. Be there or be square, dahlings! And remember, the more books are sold, the more free beer there will be. See you by the bar.

* * *
UPDATE: Smoky, noisy, jam-packed, full of people I hadn't seen in ages. And many more who I had never seen at all. Michael Foot was a no-show, but I suppose that was to be expected. Tribunites, ex-City students, ex-girlfriends, Little Atoms co-hosts, journalists of all stripes. All packed into a tiny upstairs room where Orwell himself would have once sat. Man-of-the-evening Paul Anderson did the honourable thing by splitting all the proceeds from books sold on the night between the beer fund and the Tribune Fighting Fund, and left the pub feeling full of love. A grand evening all in all, marred only by my impeccable comic timing (read: full-on klutziness) of dropping my half-full glass of beer in shock when someone told me they had actually read my blog. Sigh. Do finishing schools still exist?

5 Comments:

At October 04, 2006 1:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the more books are sold, the more free beer there will be"

 
At October 04, 2006 1:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure about this?

(apologies for weird posting stylee)

 
At October 04, 2006 1:44 pm, Blogger Lady M said...

Yeah, didn't P.A. say that he was hoping to sell lots of books at the event, and that the proceeds would go toward the beer fund? That was the impression I got, anyway.

 
At October 06, 2006 11:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suckers! He's away off to IKEA again with his ill-gotten gains (AKA your money). ;-)

 
At October 09, 2006 4:45 pm, Blogger Lady M said...

Considering that my blog has a readership of about seven, it didn't even occur to me to assume that you would be among them! But if I see you at another of these soirées, I will be sure to come over and say hello, this time with both hands firmly holding my beer glass. Of course, I could just stop drinking altogether, but where would be the fun in that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home