Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Certifiable

My NUJ press card finally arrived in the post yesterday morning after I finally got my act together enough to take a photo and send away for a pass last week, despite having been part of the union for almost two years. While it's a nice thing to have in your wallet, and gives young journalists such as myself a kind of credibility boost (safe in the knowledge of being certified), I don't know anyone who's ever actually had to use theirs. Except, erm, to blag a free ride on the London Eye when it first opened. Guilty feelings, anyone?

Still, there must be someone out there who respects us NUJ'ers. After having my purse snatched by two kids on a scooter in Bow last month, the only thing that resurfaced and was returned to me was my union membership card. Then again, maybe it was the only thing in there that wasn't considered to be of any use. Personally I choose to believe it was the thieves' sense of class loyalty and social justice that persuaded them to return the union card to its rightful owner.

Riiiiight.

2 Comments:

At June 29, 2005 3:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it's been used repeatedly. Mostly at Labour conferences when confronted by Party hacks/armed police/spin doctors.
RP

 
At June 29, 2005 4:54 pm, Blogger Lady M said...

I thought it was mainly the Labour Party press pass that you needed to get around at the party conferences? Anyway, my apologies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home