Thursday, December 07, 2006

The usual suspects

So said one Paul Anderson while gazing serenely at the gathered masses at last night's Tribune Christmas party, and it was a fair description. Peter Tatchell, Ed Balls, Steve Bell, Martin Rowson, John Bird, Maryam Namazie, plus several members of the blogosphere were there, including Paul Evans, the brains behind Never Trust a Hippy. And doubtless many more who I'm too private-sector/foreign/young to know. I liked the packed feel of the downstairs bar, which was much more atmospheric than the bland upstairs space where the do was held a couple of years ago. Speaking of atmosphere, I'm a non-smoker and have every intention of remaining so, but I couldn't help feeling that the plumes of cigarette smoke rising to the rafters gave the whole thing an authenticity and, well, homeliness, that will be missing once the smoking ban comes in next July.

Anyway, here's one thing I learned last night: Having an MBE doesn't stop you from bullying people a quarter of your age into buying you pints despite the fact that it's their birthday (and then downing three quarters of someone else's pint not long afterwards).

And when someone's excuse for leaving early is "I'm needed on an asylum case", it makes you wonder, "What am I doing with my life?"


2 Comments:

At December 08, 2006 11:53 am, Blogger Paul E. said...

I didn't mind having my pint downed that time. I brought him along in the first place, and once he has a few under his belt, he's just like that.

Sorry if you were bullied into a buying a pint (and I should have helped you carry the round you DID buy down from the bar).

I wish I'd known Maryam was there - I'd like to have met her.

 
At December 08, 2006 4:50 pm, Blogger Lady M said...

No worries, I found it more amusing than anything else. "Bullying" was probably putting it a bit strongly. :-)

Maryam was only there towards the start of the evening, sadly, but was fascinating to talk to (first time I'd met her personally). Sobering to learn how many mainsteam publications are afraid to publish anything too vociferous related to Iran.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home