Thursday, August 31, 2006

London keeps you thin

Huzzah! Finally, I can ditch that tiresome gym membership and splurge on a quarter-pounder instead, for it turns out that I live in an area which boasts one of the lowest obesity risk rates in the whole of England. Makes me feel a lot better about the hefty gnocchi with spinach and parmesan I had for lunch today at Carluccio's...

Gnocchi aside, it's little wonder there aren't too many morbidly obese people wandering around in Zone 1, what with all the organic tofu, crayfish and rocket, low-fat soy milk, 12-grain bread and other trendy nonsense that's flying about. I'm no expert, but judging from the map on the BBC website, it seems that obesity rates are to a large part influenced by economic prosperity. How else to explain such a strong concentration of the lowest (greater London) and highest (northern England) risk rates?

Of course, the astronomically high price of food in London might also be helping us lose our appetite a bit...

4 Comments:

At August 31, 2006 4:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Makes me feel a lot better about the hefty gnocchi with spinach and parmesan I had for lunch today at Carluccio's..."


When the revolution comes, we'll have a special wall to line people who write sentences like that up against.

 
At August 31, 2006 4:36 pm, Blogger Lady M said...

That's a bit rich coming from Mr I-only-buy-sausages-from-the-organic-butcher! If I'm up against that wall when the peasants revolt, I'm sure you won't be too far behind. :)

 
At September 01, 2006 12:55 am, Blogger Paul Anderson said...

Sorry to be a pedant, but shouldn't that be: "we'll have a special wall up against which we'll put people who write sentences like that"?

 
At September 01, 2006 3:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. It should. After several days of proofreading, I'm revelling in poor syntax.

Pedant

 

Post a Comment

<< Home