Friday, July 07, 2006

Remembering

I got the tube into work this morning. The Victoria Line down from Finsbury Park, changing at King's Cross, pausing briefly to see the sunshine pouring in from outside, noting with a mixture of relief and apprehension the relatively small police presence in the station compared with the previous few days, before heading down to the crowded Circle Line platform to catch the eastbound train to Farringdon. Packed in like sardines, standing room only, everyone in smart office clothes, many of us reading today's copy of Metro, the front cover of which bore the faces of some who, one year earlier, never made it to their final destination.

For them, I feel this was the most fitting way to pay tribute, and says more about the resilience of London and Londoners than any wreath, plaque or commemorative service.

2 Comments:

At July 08, 2006 10:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite the cacophony of coverage in the papers I didn't really connect the anniversary of the events of July last year with being on the tube.

On Friday I used to the tube to get to where I was going cos that is what you do. It didn't actually occur to me that I should feel even slightly nervous...

 
At July 08, 2006 10:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that was rob by the way

 

Post a Comment

<< Home