Friday, December 23, 2005

I wish it could be Christmas everyday

Well I wish it could be Christmas everyday
When the band starts playing and the kids begin to play

Kids? Band? Hardly. Here in the City, however, there is one very definite advantage to working so close to Christmas: nobody's here!

Honest to god, it is fantastic. I had to go to the Post Office today to get a late Xmas parcel sent to my boyfriend, and was dreading having to spend my entire lunch hour waiting in a queue of hacking, snivelling people.. but to my delight, there was NO ONE THERE. Well okay, there were three people there. But there were also three cashiers open, which meant about two seconds of queuing for yours truly! Pure bliss. Even in non-Christmas times of the year,it's never ever that quiet.

The same thing applies to all the restaurants around Farringdon. Deserted! No queues, all of your favourite sarnies still plentifully stocked, and some places even giving the stuff away at a third of the price. Fab!

I'll be working next Wednesday through Friday as well, seeing as my 2005 holiday leave has all been used up. If things are as chilled then, I really will wish it could be Christmas every day.

So go on then, open forum. How will you be spending this holiday season? I have been informed that mine will involve a 'Christmas lasagne', courtesy of one of my more freestyle culinary flatmates. Which reminds me, I need to go buy brandy butter and fairy lights.

2 Comments:

At December 24, 2005 12:46 pm, Blogger Lady M said...

Misplace a comma, moi? No dear, there definitely is such a thing as brandy butter. It's basically a gooey sauce that you can pour over your slice of Christmas pudding. It's more sugary and consequently more stiff than custard, and it's light yellow bordering on white in colour. Tres tasty, and extremely decadent.

The only thing that sucks is that they don't sell eggnog in England. Durr! What's Xmas without eggnog?

Good luck with the double-dose of parents! Is this the first time the four of them have met? It will be stressful, but I'm sure they'll all be so happy about the engagement that everything will go smoothly. I also thought of you this morning as they will be playing Bridget Jones's Diary on TV this evening. A singleton no longer, smug marrieddom awaits! Have a blast. :)

 
At December 27, 2005 6:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just HAD my Christmas. I'm back at work today after two major dinners in successive days. I haven't had time to recover from all that eating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home