Thursday, April 27, 2006

Double whammy

Bollocks. If there's one lesson I've learned as a journo/blogger crossover, it's never to give in to the temptation to post on current events when you haven't got all the facts. You'll always get caught out, usually savaged in the comments, and sometimes in the pub as well. All of these things happened to me yesterday (see previous post on Home Office foreign prisoner-release cock-up). I now have it from two relatively reliable sources that (a) the prisoners who were released had actually served their full sentences, and (b) there was apparently a complete lack of communication between the Home Office and the Prison Service over what should be done with these people after they were released.

So it's far from ideal, and the news today that most of them don't even seem to have an official nationality is even more embarrassing. But I will take back what I said about Charles Clarke's head needing to roll. Someone's definitely should, but who that person actually is may take some discovering.

What I'd also like to discover is why the BBC failed to report so many of these facts, which are basically essential to a proper understanding of the story. I've never thought of the Beeb as right-wing before, but its web article that I linked to yesterday certainly provoked a scarily right-wing reaction in me (Send 'em back! We want 'em aaaht!) that was purely based on WRONG information.

The second embarrassing thing to happen to me yesterday was twisting my bad ankle on crappy paving on Pentonville Road while heading home from said pub after said savaging session. Some boots ain't made for walking after three pints and two glasses of wine, apparently. I guess you have to suffer for fashion.

all together now...

Shiny shiny
Shiny boots of leather
Shiny leather, in the dark...
CRUNCH!
*whimpers*

2 Comments:

At May 03, 2006 8:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...like the the Sultans of Ping sing "please my dear, kick me with your leather boots on"...

 
At May 05, 2006 2:17 pm, Blogger Lady M said...

Yay! Am gonna have to blast that one this afternoon. Assuming I can find it on my iPod in under an hour, that is. Cursed Shuffle, why must you have no screen?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home